Friday, February 10, 2012

What not to say to a pregnant person!

I receive several emails from different baby websites each week that update me on what's going on with the little man. Every week, I read the emails as they come in and think "hey - that sounds like me!" or can relate in some way to what they are talking about in the update. The email from thebump.com this week started off like this:

At 30 weeks, your belly’s doing more than just making it tough to find a comfortable sleeping position. It’s made itself a conversation piece. Everywhere you go, someone seems to have a comment about your physical appearance, which isn’t always so fun. And no doubt, you’ve encountered quite a few people who don’t think before they speak and say something embarrassing or hurtful (what’s up with that?)

After reading this in my inbox yesterday, I thought "hey! that literally just happened to me last night!" So I decided to do a post about it so that I can look back on it and laugh one day (and hopefully not want to still punch that girl in her face), and so maybe I can enlighten some people on what NOT to say to a pregnant person.

So here's my story from Wednesday night.

I was at the mall, and decided to pop in Sephora to treat myself to something with the gift card I got for Christmas. I grabbed the perfume I was looking for and headed up to the checkout. I was wearing the outfit in my bumpdate picture below with my brown pea coat that was unbuttoned. SO, you could definitely see my belly, but it was still a little disguised by the coat. A cute, young girl was at the counter and started checking me out. By young, I mean she looked like she was maybe 20. Here's how our conversation went:

Sephora chick: *Looks down at my belly* Awww, how far along are you?

Me: I'm 30 weeks - around 7 months or so

Sephora chick: Oh...really? *Looks at my belly again, but now in a judging way* Because I'm 6 months, and your belly is just so much bigger than mine! *Then proceeds to step out from behind the counter and show me her tiny baby bump, just to prove to me how large and in charge I am* I mean, my co-workers were saying today that they can finally tell that I have a baby growing in there. HAHAHAHAHA!

Me: *In shock* Oh umm...yeah, well you know, everyone's body is so different. I feel like I've really popped out in the past month or two. *I then try to change the subject and ask her if I need to swipe my gift card or give it to her*

Sephora chick: *Oblivious, she continues to check me out* So, is this your first baby?

Me: Yup

Sephora chick: *Looks at my belly AGAIN in a judging way* Oh...because I've always heard you're supposed to be smaller with your first?!

Me: *In TOTAL shock - I mean, what is she trying to say?* hmm, yeah....*again, try to ignore her and change subject*

She managed not to offend me any further for the rest of our conversation - surprisingly! I pretty much tried to swipe my card and sign my receipt as quickly as possible to get the heck out of there before my pregnancy hormones took over and I punched the tiny pregnant lady in the face. I keep trying to tell myself that she's just young and naive and doesn't know any better, but seriously, do people not thing about what they say before they say it?

1 comment:

  1. Yikes... what a biatch! I was severely sick the whole time and didn't get very big. I would get comments about how I was too small to be X weeks along. Then when I had Henry he was only 6.5 lbs and a few ppl made comments that he was small b/c I was sick... which is not true. He is perfectly healthy. It seems like ppl make rude comments no matter what you look like. Personally, I think you look adorable!

    ReplyDelete